Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Doom Musings: What's been done before and what could we see?

The Doom community has done a lot in terms of modding, and some of the absolute best and most revered works echo those of the other classics and other games of its era and the eras beyond. I've played more than my fair share of classic level packs but every now and then I latch onto a total conversion just to see just HOW much gets changed to something brand-spanking new and fresh, while keeping a good Doom feel and taking from source material that isn't really fresh or so. So here's a list of particular games/franchises that I have seen so far made in the vein of Doom wads.

Mario (The Golden Souls wads, Super Mayhem 17, a few one-offs including a sprite replacement and some others)
Sonic (Sonic Robo Blast 2, Super Sonic Doom)
Contra/Metal Slug (Action Doom)
Legend of Zelda (a few maps I remember take after OOT's lost woods or Deku tree, even having a sword as the main weapon)
Metroid (Metroid Dreadnought, Space Hunter)
Crash Bandicoot (sort of, there's that stupid meme wad but not an actual Crash TC)
Batman (Batman Doom)
Hocus Pocus (HocusDoom)
Castlevania (Simon's Destiny)
Wolfenstein (WolfenDoom, Wolf 3D TC, a few other ones)
Pokemon (Kate had that mod that looked like a Pokemon world, Mayhem 2018, also some other mod had some interesting functionality with Poke Ball usage)
Final Fantasy (Final Fantasy Doom II, although very loosely)
Mother (Earthbound Doom, though I haven't really played it, I think it may still be in development)
Commander Keen (D2TWID MAP31 and MAP32 loosely)
Wario Land 4 (Treasure Tech)
Blood (ZBlood, Mayhem 2019)
Call of Duty (sort of, the jokewad Call of Dooty makes fun of it)
Megaman (Megaman 8-bit deathmatch, and I think there was another one somewhere)
Beat-em-up genre games (Action Doom 2)
Numerous weapons mods that take after certain games like Duke3D, Quake, Halo, SiN, PO'd (technically, although the only mod I know that did this with exceptional intent was CIF3).
A number of anime-based things (The Stranger mod for example is based off of Trigun mostly, while Gloom Busters and La Tailor Girl are magical girl anime-oriented. Also Hokuto No Doom and a Jojo mod)
A number of Star Wars based mods (a couple were in Joel's mapping contests, then there's Rex Claussen's work, plus Doomed Space Wars is heavily inspired by Star Wars).

And there's probably some more that I missed. But I do take note of what's been done and what I definitely would love to see. I don't believe any of these will be made soon, but it's sort of a wishlist for things I have yet to see but really want to see in some ways.

Crash Bandicoot - Yeah, I'll post it again, but Crash is a guilty pleasure franchise that has generally fun gameplay.
Spyro - It's only fitting, since I see barely anything in regards to Spyro at all. Would be very interesting to see a Spyro mod though.
Ristar - You remember Ristar right? I do. Would be VERY interesting to see a Doom mod that takes after Ristar.
Kirby - I don't think there's actually been a Kirby-themed Doom mod yet. But I bet there's some possibility on it.
Ninja Gaiden - Yet another guilty pleasure of mine, would be very interesting to see a Ninja Gaiden mod in some form
Klonoa - Hmm, could this be possible?
Mana - I feel the strange potential of a Secret of Mana-type TC with cooperating friends helping out. I dunno why.

I could think of more, but these are the main ones I can think of that have a lot of potential to be very interesting Doom mods in the far future. Yes, the far future. Who knows? I'm just a dreamer when it comes to this stuff. I'd make one myself but then I'd lose pace and leave it for years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment