Wednesday, October 9, 2019

A look back at: Star Ocean: Blue Sphere


Guess I didn't finish yet another game. That's what happens when I get bored with something that has an unfinished translation and I have no idea what I'm doing. At least gameplay-wise it's very, very impressive for the GBC, managing to have an active-time battle system as well as item creation mini-games and a skill system. That's sure a lot of work. Enemies tend to be quite annoying though, since they are what I would call "move spammers" where they use the same thing over and over again. Kinda like those moronic players who miraculously beat experience Tekken/Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter/Fatal Fury/Guilty Gear/any other fighting game franchise I can think of by finding a move they find super good on the whole and just using it over and over. Indeed, the fighting game-like battle system is privy to that.

Landing combos is hard work in itself, having to press A at the proper time. Getting killer moves though? I couldn't get it for anyone who wasn't Bowman or Ashton, and I STILL don't have a clue how to really unlock killer moves overall. Apparently female fighters like Opera and Chisato get theirs through the machinery skill, while other male fighters get theirs through, I guess fighting? Can't really tell. And statuses get really debilitating, especially the ones that knock you unconscious, basically meaning free attacks. Not to mention attempting to potentially unlock that killer move or get that killer 20-hit combo, then realizing your character is completely fatigued and won't make any moves until hit. This game makes mages seem a whole lot more useful than in Second Story.

Again, though, despite my complaints above, it's obvious gameplay is the true highlight of Blue Sphere, since I can't figure out a damn thing for plot and the unfinished translations somehow make things worse with lots of gibberish. I don't think I'm gonna bother with this game for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment