Tuesday, July 28, 2026

A look back at: Pokemon Korosu

I must be on fire this summer, and more specifically, this July. While it took me a while to beat this compared to the much shorter Outlaw, that's cause I was cashing in the chips on the other RPGs I've been cooking, so at times I had those to play first. Anyways, I eyed Korosu when I first saw it, but because Outlaw had a lot of information that pertained to Korosu, that's why I had to play it first. And there's also Pokemon CAWPS, which also took place before Korosu, but had much less referential material, so I was okay with skipping it. My end team was Crobat, Ampharos, Magmar, Gallade, Lapras, and Golem. I did have a Shelgon and Heracross for certain points earlier in the story.

Pokemon Korosu is Pokemon meeting Kill Bill. And Bill does get killed, although he is a completely minor character and isn't even killed by your character. But the gist is you're a girl who will fight her way out of human trafficking thanks to a Gastly to help out. The preamble to the whole game was weird enough, yeah, the opponents only have Fighting or Normal attacks, so Gastly has no struggles, that is until Sergi destroys you. And then Lance, you know, the guy who murdered his own Elite Four members in Outlaw, decides to save and help our girl protagonist. Atoning for his sins, or perhaps he was under control of CJ from the previous game, this guy essentially sets up our girl to destroy any evil doers. Biker gangs, a new team called Team Ice, a reformed Team Magma, a Team Rocket in hiding, and some weird company named X Inc. (no relation to THAT X), these will all feel the vengeful nature of our soon-to-be femme fatale. But none so much as the Salone crime family on Six Island (now known as Fortune Island). This all is the first half of the storyline in Korosu, and you're a one-woman army to eventually take those Salone freaks out. All of them.

But then the rest of the plot is just, I guess just going after other corrupt dudes. I mentioned the X Inc. corporation, that ended up being AFTER destroying the Salones. And it's a little goofy, for one, X Inc. is just a remodeled Silph Co. that is on Seven Island (named Quest Island here). Second, the employees are just genuine people with no crime activity. And three, yeah, Xandus is a magician, he's technically a bad guy from CAWPS (the only real reference to that game for the record), but man his team was stupid ridiculous for the point you battle him, yes, he's got some legendaries). And then the last half of the plot returns to Kanto. I love how you start in the Seviis and make a name for yourself, then return to Kanto. But when everything's open-ended, aside from getting the eight badges, you'll easily lose yourself. And it's not like the citizens got better since Outlaw, because the titular Outlaw decided to become an absolute ruler, what he hated the most. The place still has scum and villainy, and then there's the 64-person Pokemon tournament that felt like padding. Easy padding, no battling five elite trainers back-to-back cause you can rest between rounds. And for those who played and struggled with Outlaw, this nonsense about him not losing a battle, or even having his iconic Sandslash faint? Nonsense, I say! And after you dispose of the Outlaw, there's no postgame, well there is the one-time chance to get a Deoxys, but the rest of the game doesn't even recognize your girl protagonist as the leader. Basically speaking, the plot falls after you defeat the Salone crime family, with only one of those so-called "Sons of Salone" actually trying to avenge his kin. We don't even see the real results of the post-Outlaw demise, just our assassin girl killing anyone who tries to kill her. 

Again, no walkthrough from me because someone has already beaten me to it. The same one who made a walkthrough for Outlaw for that matter. Maybe someday I will get back to walkthrough writing for Pokemon ROM hacks again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment