Tuesday, August 29, 2023

A look back at: Digimon World 3

Really wished my summer wasn't spent on so much grinding and understanding game mechanics where all the games in the franchise are all different. At least with Digimon World 3 the gameplay resembled a lot of mainline Pokemon, and I've already been playing quite a few of those hacks at this point. Still, for the last Playstation 1 title of Digimon World, it delivered in what it could. Premises were established, with the nice spice of variety being given out as needed. The one-on-one Pokemon-esque battles can be appreciated albeit with necessary grinding. And a lot of it. Plenty of beef gate moments were frustrating to deal with but I invested the time I could. There's even gyms again for stat training. And while I do say the Digivolutions can be complex, I didn't have nearly as much trouble implementing what was desired.

TRADING CARD GAMES! I will be 100% honest, I am not a fan of any of these games due to complicated mechanics involving all of them, it took me a couple of weeks to even fully understand Final Fantasy 8's Triple Triad, and to this day I still don't understand 9's Tetra Master. So what makes you think I'm gonna like the somewhat required card game here? What makes you think I'll know when battling a rival tamer means with Digimon or with the cards? And then there's the fact you want to win to get the best of card decks, and don't even get me STARTED on the fact that a draw is a loss. This card game's mechanics were only slightly easier to pick up on than others, but I still hate trading card games.

As for the plot, I actually kinda liked it. Being trapped in the online world, realizing that the guy the government wants is a good guy, being a part of a resistance movement, it's an overused plot line but it still holds up. The bait-and-switch villains were kind of dumb but it's actually hard to notice how bad they were when you get sidetracked by other things in the meantime. But the terrifying concepts of stuff spilling over into the real world with a juggernaut (Destromon) wanting to level areas, as well as trying to do everything before everyone gets turned into Oinkmon made for a nice storyline overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment