Monday, April 10, 2023

A look back at: Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

 

Ah yes, a good old case of "stop this whacko from killing everyone through world destruction means". At this point, this game in the series feels run of the mill, using the exact same engine as the previous two games, though I would say it's a bit better. Better classes to choose from right from the start, a fifth party slot, and the ability to recruit cool monsters as your party members is fun. I followed Eltimar's Youtube let's play playlist in figuring a few things out, and decided to go with what he did, recruit dragons! Oh yeah, it was really cool. It of course means my main character, the only one I cannot remove, is the weakest, but whatever, dragons feel overpowered and I enjoyed having to use them to fly around, breathe fire, and just be resilient to everything in general. And to have up to four is just amazing.

Still a tough game mind you, just like before, especially if you decide to start solo without recruits. Plenty of sidequests I loved doing off the beaten path and the usage of elements is something that isn't new, but still fun all the same. Yeah, fun, but I did take numerous breaks throughout. Since this game plays almost exactly like the previous two entries, there were quite a lot of instances of me getting bored with the gameplay and playing something else. Plus work gets in the way, always hard to play when you have work to do. But I'm glad this will be the last one to utilize this particular game engine, as Might and Magic IX is up next, and from what I have seen, will turn things around.

No comments:

Post a Comment