Saturday, May 7, 2022

A look back at: Pokemon Adventure: Blue Chapter

 Just four days from my previous look back and I am already done with the next hack. Granted, a beta, but still. In any case, the Adventure X Chapter games, I do plan to indeed check out all the side chapters as beta as they are. Yellow was already done, so I decided my next one would involve Blue. The romhacking scene sure does love making tributes to all sorts of characters and such, and I feel like Blue/Gary doesn't get nearly as much coverage as he should. Being the son of Oak, you'd definitely feel eager to know about his adventures, how he got through everything and managed to be the champion before Red did. Playing as Blue felt quite nice.

At least until you see what he goes through. Of course, Blue is as arrogant as ever. He loves his family, and wants to keep the pride for his family going strong. While I'm not too familiar with the Pokemon Adventure manga, I can definitely see the Oak family being a line of champions (because Prof. Oak himself was one). I can also see Koga being a Team Rocket member, and Agatha being an old acquaintance of Oak's. There's not a whole lot of actual substance here. From what I played in Red Chapter, I do know he tries, and fails, to catch Mew. Interesting that this time it's from Blue's perspective, who got there first, but with Red's loss now in a cutscene. There was a weird little sidequest too, and you can come back to get a Pikachu of your own after it. But there were some odd references as I went along, with the herp derp kid, the old man who does a Sailor Moon reference, and Ash's family apparently being in the game. Furthermore, there's no catching of Pokemon as the game ends early before you are able to do any of that. No Pokeballs, you just get your Scyther in the beginning, a Charmander from Oak, and if you remember where it was, the Pichu (now a Pikachu). That's it. You battle your bully Mike, Koga of Team Rocket, the Mew (not winnable), and also a Machoke that was after the old man I mentioned before.

Real shame that these other chapters were left unfinished for years. There's a ton of potential you can probably salvage from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment