Tuesday, February 1, 2022

A look back at: Might and Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen

 

As I continue to play this series, I really should be expecting more of the same thing. The deal with most, if not all, franchises has to be how they always end up playing out a lot like their predecessors, unless they really are going to twist things. Having been playing these computer RPGs for some time, there's bound to be subtle changes added to just about anything. Which hey, I'm down for that. Sometimes I can handle a game that just sort of feels like an expansion mission pack to everything that happened in a previous title (in this case, Might and Magic III). And then V comes after this, wait, what?

So Might and Magic IV and V are pretty darn complicated, considering you can actually combine both games into one. Eventually I would finish the first half, which is IV, glad to have done it so quickly. Then again, this was shorter and easier overall than any of III. Being a two-parter game may have contributed to that. What's really new though? Well, fancier character portraits, voice acting (not entirely bad either), interesting sidequests, a few changes to the menus. Just adding more and more without retracting from the overall formula. I still appreciate dungeon crawling, the occasional run-into of the overpowered monster, and the character customization. Xeen, the villain, though? Kind of a Skeletor ripoff, just a skull-wearing overlord who has to watch over a land with his name on it and making it terrible. Xeen's not that great. But interestingly, both games in the World of Xeen revolve around him, so I bet he'll be just like Sheltem, an overarching presence. Speaking of which, what even happened to those adventurers that went after Sheltem? I sure missed my old party. Oh, Might and Magic, if you were like Wizardry and allowed the importing of previous parties, I would have loved you far more.

No comments:

Post a Comment