Friday, July 23, 2021

A look back at: Pokemon Nameless

Pokemon Nameless represents the latest in Wind1158's ROM hacks, and without a doubt, his best one, and the best one I've ever played, at least so far. In any case, the reasons for this should be made obvious, the game gives you proper leveling curves this time around, surprisingly nonlinear gameplay, the mega evolution system from Gaia (but you can mega-evolve every Pokemon that can mega-evolve, except for Latios I think), and compelling storyline that answers a lot of questions that Mega Power left out. Heck, there's even a moment where your protagonist Chronya can fight all by herself against trainers, something that was seriously just added two days ago in a new update.

I've been following this series ever since Victory Fire, because I'm such a huge fan of continuity nodding and references I can understand. Nameless for the most part takes place after Resolute and before Mega Power, but still should be played after Mega Power since it's got numerous events in and around it. The answer to why Logan/Alma was arrested for murder in Mega Power is explained here. The answers as to who Viperum was are answered here. The hunt for "The Shady" is heavily expanded on here. All the familial connections are explained here. And all this while you can be free to advance the storyline at any given point and time!

There's megaguardians to battle for Mega Stones. There's sneaky trainers who disguise themselves as items or obstacles. There's signs showing both the recommended level and the Pokemon you can find. There's no worries about HMs as you have skills that Chronya can simply learn. There's the Cyenn league and its strange tournament setup, where you battle defenders, become a defender of a rank, then defend your title to advance your rank. There's numerous regional champions, old and new. There's protagonists of old (whichever gender you pick for the Resolute protagonist will be the same for the ones you encounter for all others).

Do I recommend this hack? Hell yes I do. But I recommend the entire series of Victory Fire-Resolute-Mega Power-Nameless as a whole. Long, but surely worth it. And here's a walkthrough and a guide on battle arenas/departments to go by, perhaps my most ambitious guides to date. Very interesting that I would actually complete Nameless, and then find out that there was yet another episode, so I added it right then and there and I'm glad I did. There's still a few bugs, but Wind1158 is certainly working to get rid of all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment