Sunday, March 14, 2021

A look back at: Pokemon Mega Power

Woohoo! Another ROM hack is done. And it's another Wind1158 hack and frankly I gotta say I really am enjoying the way the storyline is in these things. So Pokemon Mega Power has Mewtwo as its mascot and seems to be about those mega evolutions. Heck, EVERY known mega evolution is here, and the author of this hack has retained the system he used for the select few mega evolutions used in Victory Fire and Resolute. It's an okay system that keeps your mons mega evolved, and is different than what I would probably have seen from the one that Pokemon Gaia used (which is basically how its done in the Gen-6+ games I hear). And honestly, I am genuinely surprised that the storyline can have a few branching points. Originally I had extra saves for these moments where the bad guys tell you that you can join them, but I found out through some videos that it doesn't seem to change the outcome nearly as much. It's the Normal Storyline/Special Storyline split where things get slightly more interesting. A bit of a detriment since you can't catch every legendary because of this split though, but to ensure you see the ones you know you're missing several opposing trainers will have these mons when you get to them.

Mega Power, much like Victory Fire and Resolute, has a Dark Rising-style level curve, which is perhaps its main detriment. Levels shoot up quite fast, and even out in the high-80s/low-90s for opposing trainers when you're all up in the Lande region. The author did put some new music though, which I can appreciate, and what's even better is it is possible to fly to the towns and locations in the Lande region and the Sevii Islands via a separated map. This was something I was annoyed with in Resolute, having very few places to fly in Tyron and nowhere to fly in Johto, while Western Tyron in Victory Fire had a couple endgame towns that were not flyable.

I've seen more than my fair share of time travel plots from Avengers: Endgame to Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross and all sorts of movies, and I gotta say, the plot twists involving Mewtwo were kinda neat. Oh wait, Mewtwo is what you're experimenting on! Oh no, it turns hostile and wrecks the lab! Oh, this shady person can use it! Don't forget, it can talk too, and somehow acts as a trainer itself! But wait, there's now a future version of Mewtwo which is trying to save the player from its present self killing the player! It can be convoluted but I found it entertaining. I also am a fan of the subterfuge that continuously happens between the enemy teams of Team Delta and the Dark Workers, and some more plot twists every which way. Oh yeah, and the surprising reveal of the protagonist of Resolute and thier dilemma. Some battles are repetitive though, but even I can roll with these.

I'll give Allen Chingonzoh some credit for a detailed walkthrough of this as well. Heck, he made it two years ago, so that's a recent walkthrough. It does have a few shortcomings, such as a lack of gender differentiation (because The Shady just so happens to be the opposite gender counterpart, and has different mons depending on who your character is) as well as not getting every trainer in the Lande gyms as well as the potential randomness of both the Lande Skyscraper and the Tournament Castle. Not much to really say there. What also sucks is that I can't open the rom with Advance Trainer Editor or Hopeless Trainer Editor, so I can't get trainer information for my guide. In any case, I did compile the Pokedex, the Pokemon locations by area, and even hidden items. This is the doc. There's still some more things that need to be taken care of, but I am glad for what I managed to do after ensuring that I got just about everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment