Saturday, January 30, 2021

A look back at: Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge

 

Character portraits! Animated enemies! Harder gameplay! I pretty much summed this all up more or less. Wizardry continues to go by its formula but makes things, at least in my opinion, much harder. Perhaps it's because of my low luck with certain enemies, especially larger formations as well as the powerful party-breaking spells they always seem to employ. I've been throwing my lot around quite a bit with this title for sure. You don't even get a nice hub area to rest with since in this game, you get trapped in a castle and basically go the scavenger route more or less. But then there's some areas that seem completely unwinnable until you grind an excessive amount. Lots of healing, lots of frustration, lots of grinding, and lots of luck.

Interestingly, despite being at that part of playing the Wizardry series where I'm tempted to give a lower score due to my fatigue with the series in general, I gave this one a higher score. This mostly comes not just from a few tweaks in the gameplay to make them more interesting (if harder), but also due to how well the plot is this time around. Yes, there's going to be multiple endings as well as branching paths. Do you believe a scornful woman's lies? You'll probably go for the bad ending. Otherwise, you see the remorseful king kill himself instead. There's also the choice of taking that freakin' magic pen for yourself or not too. This is the kinda stuff that definitely peaks my curiosity with this game, even if I get rather annoyed gameplay-wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment