Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Doom Musings: The 2020 Cacowards and what I've been doing to help

PLEASE NOTE: the new Blogger system is kinda retarded because it makes all my published posts on like the earliest date that I post them. I always try to release these Doom Musings posts at the start of every month or the halfway point (the 15th in other words, or the 14th in the case of February).

Ah, the Cacowards. These are the Doom mods that are the most revered in the community each year, you get at least ten grand prize winners and a whole slew of runner-ups, honorable mentions, and one-off mentions, plus the different categories and the stupid in-jokes*. This year, once again, was a solid, solid list of Doom WADs, in the one year that was so dreadful all around. Consider it the most positive thing that has happened this year, at least for me whenever I'm not busy doing something else.

On Doomworld I've been doing reviews of just about every single new WAD that gets released, and usually I tangle with the marathons known as megawads, and boy howdy, there's just no end to them! I must have counted almost 30 different megawads, some of them may actually have been releases containing two megawads. It was in fact me who coined the idea that 2020 was the true "year of the megawad", even though it was back in 2011 that the term was in fact first coined. That being said, 2020 has more than three times (at least) the megawads that 2011 has, so it really is the true year of megawads by far. And I did my part listing, as well as reviewing, each megawad I could find this year. It of course got notice in a special feature as it was backed by a lot, and I mean a lot, of truth.

You know, one of the things I'll admit is that I dream of actually being one of the chief Cacoward writers. Describing something in detailed writing isn't going to pay much in bills, but I really don't care, it's a passion I have and I've already done this multiple times with game reviews, ROM hack walkthroughs, and of course, these blog posts. Every new Cacowards I witness the writing style of the writers get considerably more empathetic, more passionate, more eloquent. I strive for that kind of writing. I want to write detailed like these people but not to the effect that it feels like excessive nitpicking. I try to avoid this unless it's about finding bugs though. But in any case, one day I might end up one of the writers, as I've slowly tried my best to continue refining my writing style to make it someday.

In all seriousness, the Cacowards this year are great as always. The best thing is that I've played most of the wads already, so I really don't need to go over most of them once again unless I got bored or something. Right now I'll be checking out some of the stuff I didn't get to, and maybe even go back to some of the stuff I didn't get to in 2019 or 2018 that I still have yet to see! Real glad for the shoutout to my refined list of Top 25 secrets by the way, even if I wasn't mentioned.


*seriously I really don't think Mordeth will ever be released.

No comments:

Post a Comment