Thursday, December 31, 2020

A look back at: Wizardry: Legacy of Llylgamyn

 


ONE MORE BEFORE YEARS END!

Well I'll actually review Wizardry III on New Years Day itself, but wow do I find myself comfortable with this series at the moment. Sure, there's the grinding and the pain in the ass encounters, but I think I got the hang of it all. Anyways, Wizardry III is yet another stupid little sequel with not much in plot and all about standard RPG gameplay. No real changes overall, still gets the whole schpeel with character creation, equipment, enemies, first-person dungeon crawling, weird names. Gotta admit, even though I played the Deep Dungeon mini-franchise before this, it's Wizardry that is significantly more comfortable. Maybe it's all about the setups?

So first game was about creating a party and getting an amulet from a powerful wizard. Second game is about finding a bunch of knight equipment and being worthy of royalty. Third game's plot is about...finding a dragon to prevent natural calamity from striking the kingdom. Kind of the weakest in terms of plot overall, but the gameplay still remains intact. Of course all things considered, if I was playing on a non-NES port I'd actually have to import characters, but it seems after reading a bit more it seems like even if you do import characters they still are at level 1. So much for that! Anyways, I think the biggest issues I had with this gameplay wise were some particularly notable enemies like the Delf Minions and Priests of Fung, both of which can oneshot characters nastily. Not a good grinding place for Murphy's Ghost this time around either. But you know what? Challenge accepted. I was finding myself okay with this one.

Apart from all this, I will say that this is still a very classic RPG, but not in the ways that would wow me, so I am just gonna say it now, but there's no way this series is going to rank high on my eventual RPG rankings posts when I get to them. Maybe that could change, who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment