Sunday, July 5, 2020

A look back at: Pokemon Dark Rising

Not often do you have a ROM hack that actually manages to be a full-blown series. Some creators are just that ambitious.

If I were to describe Dark Rising in one word, it would be "overwhelming". It's overwhelming in a lot of senses. You have tons of wild Pokemon in many areas and you'll be spending time catching them. Then the trainers you battle spike in difficulty real quick. It's absolutely crazy that the fourth gym leader would have Lv60+ mons. And it just gets tougher from there. The amount of moves that Pokemon can learn in Dark Rising will try to make things easier, as they have access to such badass moves like X-Scissor, Dark Pulse, Scald, etc. And that's great. But I'll be damned, this sure was tough to go through. I certainly won't miss the difficulty.

And I won't miss the weather effects. My god, there were one too many weather effects in here, usually rain, but the entire central section is nothing but sandstorms, and even a GYM has a sandstorm in it! Both a waste of time in battles and something that just really annoys me overall when I'm trying to find that 1% or 2% encounter of a starter Pokemon. There was a bit of story integration with these, but I really didn't care that much. Oh and speaking of, the entire story is you finding your father while fighting the evil team that worships this Darugis. Spoiler alert, you never find your father at all, and Darugis escapes in the end, basically giving the sequel hook. Even worse when it seems that after beating almost all the evil trainers, in the end nothing really got accomplished that much. The plot could have been so much better.

No walkthrough from me this time, since someone already written it. That takes a load off my shoulders. Sadly there's no post-game content. Also I really wasn't a fan of the region in general, as the Core region is geographically similar to Kanto with bits and pieces of Sevii island tossed around here and there. This was just overwhelming to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment