Wednesday, May 6, 2020

A look back at: Pokemon Victory Fire

Well, I gotta say, I think this is a fairly underrated rom hack. I can see why it's hated, the selection in the beginning definitely has problems, and the difficulty curve is actually quite high, even going as far as to make the Elite Four have level 80+ mons right away. And then there's just more and more challenges. A total of 505 battles is what it took for me to plunge through this one, I did lots of backtracking, trying to get everything because I personally am writing the detailed walkthrough for this very hack, and hopefully I got it all. At many points this hack is finished, and yet I still think there's plenty of room for improvement.

I mean, ease up on the rivals please, there's one too many, and there's always at least one encounter, sometimes two, with them. The scale of certain areas is eschewed as well, this is notable between Marble City and Volcano Town. Navel Path is way bigger than its size dictates, and then you go through Heat Passage and Jade Pass before it. It's ridiculous. The lack of Water types besides Buizel is another issue, you don't get a Good Rod until you get Surf, and there's no Old Rod or such. And for god's sake, fix the spelling, it's hilariously bad especially with every instance of canyon being "cayon".

But it does the freebies better than Light Platinum did, and making a black market where you can buy evolution stones and held items is also a plus, alleviating the challenge. Some might say it's not a good thing but for those that have been on the grind it helps a bit. Then you can buy every single TM at Halfleaf City, which is also good. Mega evolutions are neat to experiment with, and the Alolan forms of Vulpix and Ninetales ended up being top notch mons for my team. I can definitely see some room for improvement, in the meantime, have a detailed walkthrough to look over.

No comments:

Post a Comment