Wednesday, January 15, 2020

A look back at: Dragon Quest VI


Hooray! First RPG done of 2020. And it's a Dragon Quest game that is generally enjoyable in spades and somewhat annoying in other spades. And wouldn't you believe it, I played a DS remake of the original game, perhaps because the SNES fan translation had poor dialogue transitions that were glitched. Opting for the remake was my option, and my experience with it went generally well. But I gotta say, this took longer than I expected. I am well aware of how long Dragon Quest VII is, according to a lot of people even if you don't do the sidequests you'll be spending about 80 or so in-game hours. This game I played on and off for approximately a month (about thirty days), and there's quite a lot to it.

So the first game was super simple, second upped the party size, enemy numbers, and difficulty. Third went with the class approach, fourth went with the multi-branched story and gave us the wagon, fifth made a good effort with the story. So for the sixth one, I believe it did offer what it could well, giving interchangeable classes (called vocations) allowing them to level up and gain newer abilities, and gave interesting subquests and minigames to handle. Dragon Quest is ready for the big leagues! The game's storyline can easily be forgotten while doing sidequests or grinding for experience/money/tokens. The new stuff blends in with the old to make things neat.

What can I really say, the series is making improvements that make them much more fun. Of course, the pains of grinding get in the way, and while the new skills make things easier (new skills for taking out pesky metal slimes and such) the level thresholds are high in many cases. I relied a lot on both old and new equipment to get through many areas. Plenty to do, plenty to experience. I guess it did what it did well.

No comments:

Post a Comment