Wednesday, November 20, 2019

A look back at: Deep Dungeon 2


Deep Dungeon 2 is a basic sequel game, with the emperor somehow still being alive in the underground and making a few marginal improvements that don't really mean all that much. I appreciate the sentiments though, especially with picking bonus points upon leveling up, something that is very rarely seen especially for a FDS RPG.

It's so easy to forget to equip the first items you buy, meaning that when you encounter your first enemy, you're dead. You'll be missing, and should you actually hit you'll do mere scratch damage, but it hits home when you're always hit. Now that's of course assuming the character is unarmed. With a weapon and armor, survivability is now possible. For leveling up, my strategies were to up the hell out of agility so that enemies always miss and I always hit and give a few points to luck too (for critical hits I'm pretty sure). Then just sort of sit in a place, hit the turbo button and speed the emulator up and watch the HP as my guy just sort of steamrolls through things. It's already boring enough to grind, but standing in place and having enemies come to me at least alleviates the need to run around like an idiot until an encounter appears.

The ending of Deep Dungeon 2 from a gameplay standpoint makes me angry. I can get all the six items needed to get to the fourth dungeon floor (which in itself is actually a problem, again they take up inventory slots), but the map I followed is somehow different than the one I was given. I was forced to do the standard D+D navigation to even understand where I was really going, and then once I find nothing of interest, the only way out is to use the Pegasus Wing, oh wait, it has a random chance of just killing you! That's just a huge headache to get through. Also how come none of the guides mention how to get the Jewel item? I'll make it easy for the viewers, once you have the Crest, go back to town and attempt to sell it. You won't lose the Crest, but will gain the Jewel. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, and it seems that the only uses for these items are to instantly end battles against fake demon kings or in the case of the Demon King Ruu, the Crest makes him confess something. It's weird. It really doesn't make sense that MY game had a screwed-up fourth floor, even after I do all that stuff well before I even step foot in that floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment