Saturday, August 17, 2019

A look back at: Final Fantasy Adventure


Finally another Mana game oh wait no hahahaha. Well, it's definitely the first in the series, odd how the more famous Secret of Mana came after this one, and technically after Sword of Mana since this game is the original version of that one. With Zelda-like navigation it was like playing Link's Awakening except I wasn't playing Link's Awakening. I sure wasn't going on a dungeon-fused fetch quest, just playing the story of Sword of Mana more primitively. No need to worry about allies, since they just sort of wander around without any harm to them. The Chocobo in particular was quite helpful.

Needless to say, loads of grinding in one particular spot got me to level 60 long before I fought even Medusa, which tells me quite a lot. I could've gone further, but then I noticed where the gold caps out at, not that it really matters. I made this game really easy. And to be honest, as primitive as it is, I kinda needed to because of how clunky it played. Having to find which particular weapon or spell that defeats some enemies is certainly a hassle and a complaint I have about this game, having to continuously switch weapons, since the morning star is better than the flail for instance on some enemies, or having to switch between items and magic often. Oh, and some of these dungeons don't have a lot of clues where to go, and keys and mattocks are often needed to get around, and those are expendables necessary. In some cases, it's possible to make the game unwinnable. Plenty of bosses, predictable in most cases but I found those dragons a lot tougher than Julius for example due to their head being the only weakpoint and them constantly moving it. The statuses aren't all that debilitating, you can get Stone but that only prevents movement, you can still attack and cast spells, while Dark doesn't really hinder anything at all. Moogle however is pretty nasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment