Thursday, July 18, 2019

A look back at: Robotrek


Got to admit, I'm so glad Quintet games are pretty short. If this game were any longer, I'd probably keel from exhaustion because of how boring its combat is and how lame its story is.

It's yet another one of those "good on the premise" ordeals, the game allows the player to create and customize robots for battle in an active-time battle system, as well as create, combine, and recycle items. But it barely does much plotwise. I mean, get your kidnapped father back from evil hacker dudes who brainwash people or turn them into mice or use science in some weird way. And then time travel comes into play and it gets even more convoluted. Boom! Past! Oh wait, now the whole thing was a dream? Now all of a sudden, this person you met in the past seems to have recognized you. Oh yeah, there's space travel, a space princess, and an evil fortress. The embarassing thing is this is the one part of the plot I can actually remember, and if I can remember the cliches more than any surprising twists, than really this game isn't that good plotwise.

And to potentially insult players further, the thing that got me was an excessive amount of backtracking. This may be because of the guide I used when playing, but even without it, there's a lot of "get in this dungeon, find thing, go out the long way, go back and fight boss". This added the boredom factor. Part of me wanted to get many of the dungeons over with, and really I would include those dungeons on a "worst dungeons" list because of the backtracking alone. I get this game definitely got the customization aspect going with the robots and items, but to really make a good game you need a good lot of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment