Sunday, July 28, 2019

A look back at: Popful Mail


So I've reviewed The Guardian Legend, Crusader of Centy, Startropics, Golvellius, and even Illusion of Gaia, and not a single one of these I considered to be RPG based on the mechanics they had. Crusader of Centy was a Zelda clone, Startropics had it's own array of items and health system, but also a lives system. Golvellius was that but way worse. The Guardian Legend threw me in a hybrid of rail shooter and Zelda-like navigation but no real RPG elements. Illusion of Gaia was closest because it definitely emphasized adventure and multitudes of attacks, but abandoned the formulas that Soul Blazer and later Terranigma followed.

So when I played Popful Mail, I had to straddle the line. RPG or no? I say it ought to be based on a few things. Actual shops, cashing in enemy rewards to get gold and better equips, and the ability to change characters each with different abilities. While there's no level up system and the game plays exactly like a Metroidvania, I say this game feels like a good example of a Metroidvania/action RPG hybrid. Of course, it's painfully forgettable plot sort of ruins it, especially if you were like me and played a non-translated SNES version, but I bet even if you get the translated version it would still not be too pretty. The game also times you based on how long it takes, which I think factors in what ending you get, and it could get difficult, usually par for the course for any Metroidvania-type game. The anime-like presentations are okay but aren't too exciting. Gameplay is very much what matters most in Popful Mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment